Friday 28 November 2008

Alfie's Christmas Party

Last night, cool collectors and fabulous 20thC design fans gathered for one of my favourite pre-Christmas events - the Christmas party at Alfie's Antiques Market in Marylebone, London. Drinks flowed and the live music, provided by a gypsy band walking around the centre, was punctuated with excited conversation and laughter. It's always a superb time to see new stock, bought specially for the event, and to catch up with dealers, fellow collectors and colleagues. Amongst those I met last night were the marvellously dressed fashion expert and author Madeleine Marsh, notable Art Deco and ceramics dealers Beth & Beverley Adams, mid-century ceramics and glass dealer Geoffrey Robinson, and the fashion connoisseurs and dealers Sparkle Moore and Cad van Swankster.
Although the event seemed to be a little quieter than usual on the business front, I saw plenty of deals being struck, and bags and smiles being carried out by customers. Of course, I was one of them, with my bag containing this studio glass sculpture by Sam Herman. I've been admiring it for some time and thankfully it was still there. Although I can't really afford it, I'm calling it an early Christmas present - to myself of course!

No comments: