Tuesday 23 September 2008

12th Cambridge Glass Fair

Can it really be the twelfth fair? I remember going to the first, held in the city centre of this glorious and quintessentially English city. Now they are held in the pastoral environs of Chilford Hall Vineyeard. How time flies when you're having fun. And, as ever, fun was had at this fair.
Despite the cold economic climate, the sun shone and the dealers and visitors came providing the usual perfect chemistry for a successful day. The queue to get in provided a good source of clients to buy my books, but particular highlights included meeting Kim Thrower, Frank Thrower's son, again, seeing Marcus Newhall who is about to release his long-awaited book on Sklo Union glass, and also the surprise visit of a gentleman by the name of Martin Rosam.
Martin and I first met at the Antiques Roadshow at Bexhill-on-Sea, when he brought his superb collection of West German 'Fat Lava' ceramics in for me to value on air. It was great enough to see him and catch-up, but I was particularly taken aback with the kind gift of a Scheurich jug vase designed by Heinz Siery and covered with a superb bubbling white Fat Lava glaze. A treasured addition to my collection, for sure. Martin had never been to one of the Cambridge Glass Fairs before and was curious to visit, having heard so much about them and having recently begun to collect 20thC glass.
As regards personal purchases, I still managed to walk away with more glass than I arrived with! I'm sure this collecting lark is an invasive disease - but a pleasant one at that. As to what they were, I can only tell you about a particularly fine Czech glass vase designed by Jan Gabrhel. Shown in a number of period books, I've never seen an example in the flesh, so was keen to add it to my collection. As regards the other pieces, well, they're a little bit of a secret that will be revealed over the coming years. In all, a highly enjoyable day. If, like Martin, you've never been, all I can say is COME. He enjoyed a great day, and I'm sure you will too. I'll see you there!

No comments: